The Porsche SUV never really made sense to me, at least from a familiarity perspective. Why would a company known for their sports cars ever want to enter the suburban sport utility market? Greed perhaps? I don’t know, but it never jived with my understanding and sticking to core competency has always worked in the past. Well, Porsche is throwing my thoughts all out of whack again, by introducing a green Hybrid version in the 2011 Cayenne.
The 2011 Cayenne S Hybrid is a parallel hybrid, meaning it will use both it’s gasoline engine or electric motors for power. Depending on the load and demand the Cayenne S is capable of operating on electric or gasoline alone and a combination of the 2 when necessary. The internal combustion engine side of the Cayenne hybrid remains pretty potent, with a V6 super charged to 333 horsepower. The electric side of things is a completely different story, with some very misleading numbers.
Electric power can confuse age old wisdom about cars and how they operate. Consider that the electric motor in the Porsche Cayenne S Hybrid only produces 52 horsepower, but is capable of up to 210 ft lb of torque. This means for normal load the electric motor will get the wheels turning up to speed with it’s impressive torque figures and keep its constant speed with the minimal horsepower.
According experts allowed to play with the 2011 Cayenne hybrid the V6 Hybrid version of the SUV does a convincing job of pretending it’s got a V8 under the hood, sans sound. So if the new Cayenne S proves to be successful, how long before we see the same technology introduced into it’s other line up of performance vehicles?
The all new retro styled Dodge Challenger not muscle enough for you? Fear not, ringing in the New Year, MOPAR has released an appearance package that puts the Challenger on steroids. It’s a tasteful package that adds bold curves and a few sharp edges, making the Challenger look like it’s in motion even when parked.
Below is a list of the muscle styled goodies that will come with the MOPAR package.
- New Hood with color matched scoop.
- Aggressive rear spoiler.
- Stripe Kit
Interior MOPAR Performance Appearance Package items.
- MOPAR branded T Shifter.
- Bright pedal kit.
- Door-sill guards.
- Premium floor mats
- Car cover
Even for a list as impressive as this it comes with a pretty high price tag. Expect to pay around $2,000 for the exterior Performance Appearance Package and in the neighborhood of $1,000 for the interior package. With the aftermarket automotive industry being as experienced as it is I can’t imagine Dodge selling a lot of these. But, for those that want to stick with the MOPAR brand, accept no substitutes. Just don’t expect any more horsepower for your $3k investment. 😉
MOPAR Challenger Performance Appearance Package Pics
Source: Official Chrysler Press Release
I myself am a lover of Ford Mustang’s and I know what I would love to receive for Christmas. However, I also realize that how I want my Mustang to look may not coincide with your views, so I’ve developed this top 10 list of gifts to be generic. That is, no matter the type of Mustang owner they will appreciate a gift from the list below.
So let’s get started and in no particular order.
1. Key Chain – You simply can’t go wrong purchasing a key chain and plus this leaves some creative opportunities for the gift buyer. I prefer a small leather key chain with the Mustang logo embroidered on it or a small metal chain with the Ford emblem etched on.
[phpbay keywords=”mustang key ring” num=”2″ siteid=”1″ sortorder=”PricePlusShippingLowest” templatename=”default” paging=”true”]
2. Apparel – Now you know the person you are buying a Mustang Christmas gift for better than I do, so be the judge of what they would look best in. Personally, I would like a Mustang baseball cap and there are some high quality options available. But, if the giftee doesn’t wear a hat, try getting them a sweat shirt or T-Shirt, which guys will always wear on top or bottom. $34.99 Mustang Hoody From Amazon
3. Calendar – Just because you buy them a Mustang calendar doesn’t mean they will want to hang it up in the kitchen. Every garage needs a calendar and it doesn’t always have to be covered in naked or semi naked babes, a hot Mustang will do just fine.
4. Mustang Parking Sign – Just like the calendar above, give the gift of garage decoration to the person on your Christmas list. It’s a good, inexpensive way to tell would-be parking offenders that only Mustang’s are allowed in this spot. $9.99 Metal Mustang Parking Sign
5. Mustang Folding Chair – This Mustang Christmas present really should be at the top of the list, just so no one misses it. If I could pick one gift from this list, the Mustang Folding Chair would be it. It’s a perfect addition to car show trips, camping, or just lounging around in the back yard. Frankly I’m tired of setting on my worn out wal-mart special boring brown chair.
[phpbay keywords=”ford folding chair” num=”2″ siteid=”1″ sortorder=”PricePlusShippingLowest” templatename=”default” paging=”true”]
6. Mustang Car Cover – Even if you have a garage dust will find it’s way onto the surface of your Mustang. So, protect it even when it’s in doors with a car cover. Most car covers are one size fits all years, much like the one linked here, it will fit most model year Mustang.
7. Mustang Model Car – I got a model Mustang about 5 years ago and placed it proudly on my desk at work, it’s still there. Not only that, it’s kept me warm on those months I spent Mustangless in between project cars. It still gets cleaned more often than I do. The prices on Mustang model cars can vary a lot, so choose wisely.
8. Remote Control Mustang – Yes, I’m still a little kid at heart and in mind in most cases. You show me a guy who doesn’t love a remote control Mustang at any age and I’ll show you a person who is dead inside. Prices Starting At $49.99 at Amazon
9. Mustang Ornaments – It’s not that I don’t like decorating with my family, it’s just that there are no ornaments that I can relate to. Glittery balls don’t do anything for me, so I need a Mustang Ornament to feel like I’m contributing, even if it has to be on the back of the tree. Mustang Ornament
10. Mustang Tumbler – Everyone drinks something, on a daily basis I consume coffee in the morning and a tumbler is a perfect match for my Mustang cup holder. They are stylish, comfortable, and tell people what kind of car I prefer to be seen in, even when it’s not around. Like the model Mustang setting on my desk at work, a Mustang tumbler shouldn’t be very far away either.
[phpbay keywords=”mustang mug” num=”2″ siteid=”1″ sortorder=”PricePlusShippingLowest” templatename=”default” paging=”true”]
Now, no excuses, there is still time to get presents shipped from Amazon or anywhere else online. Chances are you won’t be able to find all of these at your local department store, but that’s why you are online right now isn’t it? You need to get done buying those hard to find gifts and do it now!
Happy Holidays and don’t forget about my post for Christmas Gift Ideas for Dodge Fans.
Sure it may be tooting your own horn, so to speak, but Dodge has released a list of the top 10 gifts for Dodge and Mopar fans. This information came via press release, but does have some good tips, if you have a big budget. So this Christmas consider the gifts below as a good guide for pleasing that Mopar head in your family.
1. FLO TV – This is a subscription service kind of like Satellite Radio that provides video entertainment inside your new Dodge Vehicle. The equipment will cost around $629 plus installation fees, but the price includes a 1-year subscription.
2. Remote Start – A remote starter is one of the best gifts you can give to anyone, let alone a Dodge owner. It’s the gift that gives year round and is really appreciated on those frost covered mornings. Nothing beats stepping out the front door and into a toasty vehicle in February. Most remote starters for Dodge vehicles will set you back around $235.
3. Uconnect Web – Another great gift idea of the gear head that’s also a tech head. This little device turns your vehicle into a roaming Hot Spot providing high speed internet to anyone within range and a password. Expect to spend around $400 for the equipment, along with a monthly subscription. However, until the end of the year you can get a $300 rebate on the purchase of the equipment, so go buy it, NOW.
4. Jeep Wrangler Lift Kits – Mopar offers high quality lift kits to give the Jeep in your driveway the look desired or for function. Everyone wants to customize their Wranglers and generally a lift is #1 on the list of to-do’s, well that and some big ass tires. I would recommend consulting the gift receiver before buying a lift kit, because they may have a specific height in mind.
5. Cat Back Exhaust System – After a Dodge owner gets the appearance they want, generally the sound is the next on the list. A Cat Back exhaust system can add the sound desired and in most cases the look, if chrome tips of rear exhaust is added to the mix. An added bonus is that most cat back exhaust systems will also increase engine performance and power.
6. Mopar Suspension Kit – Kind of the opposite of the lift kit a Stage 2 Mopar Coil over Suspension kit will help give the stance desired in their more sporty lineup of vehicles. These kits come with the ability to adjust your suspension to fit your driving style. Look to spend in the neighborhood of $1700 for this package, plus or minus whatever it will cost to have a professional install it.
7. Crate Engine – Please, please, please consult the person you are buying this for before purchasing. Gear heads are sticklers for the details and will have in mind exactly what they want, especially in an engine. So make some suggestions, have them write down what they want, and then go buy them a $13,000 crate motor that will turn the docile project car into a pavement eating beast. Don’t forget to add a lift gate to the delivery charge.
8. 572 Cubic Inch HEMI Crate Motor – Another crate motor has made their top 10 gift list and with good reason. This isn’t your run of the mill generic motor, this is a howling beast of an engine. It’s important to make sure you have the frontage required to store such a monster, again, consult whomever you are buying this for before dropping $18,000.
9. Slush Mats – These are awesome for the winter when tracking in snow becomes a nuisance. These are also very useful to save the carpet for those looking to get dirty while mudding around in their 4×4’s. These rubber mats will stay in place and catch all the crap off your boots, prices range from $50-$100.
10. Model HEMI Display Engine – This is the perfect gift for Dodge fanatics that need to display their love in the garage, office, or over the fire place. If you can’t afford the real thing, give them a reminder to start saving now, because this little model will only set you back about $41.
Have a Merry Christmas and start buying your gear head gifts early, because almost everything will need to be shipped to you. Generally these aren’t the type of gifts you find in stock at your local Wal-Mart. 😉
For inexpensive gifts for your automotive enthusiast, please visit The-Grayline online shopping centers which include a vast selection of Automotive Apparel ideas and Key Rings for every model and manufacturer.
Suzuki has yet to be known for their mid size sedan offerings, but they are hoping this will change with the upcoming release of the 2011 Kizashi. Even though the new sedan name sounds like a raw fish appetizer, Suzuki is hoping they can build on the success of their compact car offerings. If they can start stealing market share with little cars, why can’t they do it with midsize? Not to mention the pie is a little larger, weighing in at 20% of Canada’s market.
Like most press releases from car manufacturers in a recession, it’s full of big words and supposed cutting edge technology. Plenty of references to european style handling, expensive styling ques, and the ability to be had for a fraction of the next closest competitors price. But what stands out to me is its lack of engine options. Early adopters of the Suzuki Kizashi will have only one choice for engines, a 4 cylinder.
Now, this works in compact cars, but I’m not sure how it will stack up in the mid size market. The minimum offering should at least be a 4cylinder gas saver for the car-pooler without friends and then a 6 cylinder option for those living in the mountains driving a full load. Fill a mid size sedan up with 4 fat ass business types, throw in some luggage, and good luck getting that 4 cylinder to react and perform like other sedans on the market with v6 offerings.
That being said, just because it’s got the same safety equipment, handling, and amenities of every other mid size sedan on the market doesn’t mean you can take some pie. It will only take one poor review from a fat driver to put your sales in the tank. Good luck Suzuki, but please hurry up and plan on offering a V6 option in the 2011 Kizashi.
It’s amazing how far of a cry the final 2011 Suzuki Kizashi is from the concept a few months back. So much for hoping for a performance minded mid size sedan.
Regular readers of The-Grayline.com know how much I ooze over the idea of a potent Mustang. Lately Ford just seems to keep on delivering one awesome version of a Mustang over another. Even though the SVT brand doesn’t seem to be hanging around, we have been blessed with the Shelby GT500 and now, the 2010 Cobra Jet. Fitting, considering Ford has aesthetically and internally redesigned the 2010, so let’s see what’s in store.
The 2010 Ford Cobra Jet Mustang can be seen by those lucky enough to attend the 2009 SEMA show in Las Vegas, which begins today. The Cobra Jet has been specially outfitted in SEMA paint, complete with Cobra likeness down the side. The pictures of the SEMA special Cobra Jet can be seen in the gallery below.
What sets the 2010 Cobra Jet apart from other 2010 Mustangs? First of all it will come equipped with the first ever factory equipped Rev Limiter, which is a staple for low ET’s. Basically the Cobra Jet is a factory built race car, similar to the one Ford released on the 40th anniversary of the Cobra Jet in 2008. Although consider it a much more track ready beast, complete with roll cage.
I’ve had trouble finding specific power numbers for the 2010 Cobra Jet, but suffice it to say, it won’t matter to those buying. All 50 produced have already been ordered by the dealers and sold to customers, sorry, no longer available. But maybe, just maybe, you might have a friend of a friend that will give you a ride in one. Until then, please feel free to slobber over the pictures below.
Cobra Jet’s Available for purchase right now on eBay
[phpbay]cobra jet, 3, “6010”, “”[/phpbay]